Saturday, March 19, 2011

Roses and Clover

Time, where does it go?  I find that as I get older, it becomes more of the hare and less of the tortoise. As a child, I always wanted to grow up. I dreamed of doing adult things. I wanted go to work, not school, I wanted to drink wine, not milk. I'd put multiple pairs of socks on so I could wear my mums heels and make clip clop noises up and down the street. I desperately wanted my ears pierced and to wear makeup, but time went by so slowly and I'd strop about how unfair life was.


Boy do I wish I appreciated that time now. I really hope to instill in my daughter, that it's ok to be where you're at in life. The grass is not always greener. In fact, it's rarely greener. It's usually all dried up, crusty and brown. I lost out on some of the best times of my life, because I was too busy sniffing out the future, and not stopping to smell the roses... but hindsight's a wonderful thing, and I just hope 1.2.1 appreciates her childhood a little bit more that I did.


So yeah, as an adult, time was going pretty fast, but since giving birth, it's sped up to mach 3 and my tiny, less than 7lb newborn, is now a sturdy half year old! For a minute there, I was feeling robbed of that wee bundle, but now I'm realising that she's at the most amazing stage to date. She's not mobile yet, so I don't need to panic constantly, but she's so alert and fascinated by everything. She holds you like a koala, and (probably inadvertently) gives some of the best hugs ever. She just charmed the socks off her great grandparents by not fussing once on a two hour visit. Even after waking up from a brief nap, she just looked around, fascinated by these lovely soft spoken people, and smiled.


She's obviously got her moments though. This month she decided to lengthen her usual one week of bad nights, to two. The sandman seemed to be on extended leave, and I would prey that he'd come back soon and relieve his stand in, who was sorely not up to par. The song doesn't go "Mr Sandman's stand-in, bring me a dream", so he was probably pretty careless and was most likely napping on the job. But then, last night she was back to her normal self, and let me sleep almost all night. I'm not going to count my chickens though, this may only be a brief reprieve, but whatever it is, I'll take it.


My Google search of the day - How to take a passport picture of a baby - She's heading to Scotland, watch out Edinburgh!

1 comment:

  1. 'Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans' To quote John Lennon. How true. There is also a Zen sort of notion called 'Acceptance' which some people interpret as giving in. It isn't. It's very powerful. You can fight as hard as you like once you have accepted any given situation.

    There. Philosophy for the weekend.

    Can't wait for you guys to get here!

    Dadxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete