Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mothers Milk... not just for babies

Well it's been a while, but I can safely say my world map is much greener now, since Russia decided to join. Thank you huge land mass, you make me very happy.


A lot has been happening in the world of 1.2.1. We've had lots of highs and we've had some sleepless night lows, but it's all good and I'm obviously being kept very busy with her antics.


Her adorableness has been elevated even more with the development of some of the most glorious eyelashes I've ever seen. Unfortunately it makes me even more vulnerable to being wrapped around her tiny little finger, but I'm sure I'm not the first parent to fall fowl of this.


She turns six months on Monday. I can't believe it. Where has time gone? It seems like only yesterday that I was sliced open and her full head of hair, serious eye brows and big feet were dragged from my belly.


She has her six month check up that day, and we'll find out if she's gained enough weight for her to be able to start solids. I'm not going to jump in immediately if we're given the go ahead, I still need a wee bit of time to get my head around it. But we're definitely in the market for getting started soon. She's very interested in what I'm eating and I think she's ready. My plan is to make my own, so I want to finish reading a very good book about it, that my wonderful friend gave me.


Man, it's taken me two weeks to write this! It's Monday tomorrow, so I better finish this before then, or I'll end up having to re-write it all... definitely a case of bloggers block this last month.


So, a couple of posts ago, I mentioned trying to donate my breast milk. I found a great source and filled out their application. I'm a pretty healthy person, so I thought I'd be a good candidate. Boy was I wrong. Completely shunned due to living in the UK for more than three months during the outbreak of mad cow disease. Bloody farmers feeding other animals offal to grass grazing creatures means I can't help tiny babies get the best start in life. How's that for unfairness. Think of the babies, damn farmers! So maybe I'll take my lead from those London gals that are getting 15 Great British Pounds per couple of ounces, to have theirs made into Ice Cream. Baby GaGa, brilliant!


A lot of people take offense to people making food stuffs (for adults) out of breast milk. I don't get it myself. I'm sure at least half the people that go green at the gills at the thought of some boobillicious desert, are drinkers of good old moo juice. Which, if you think about it as faaaaar more gross than some lovely, clean lady expressing in her lovely, clean house. I'm pretty sure Daisy doesn't use dove to clean her bits before Farmer Brown shoves those big suckers on her udders. And those same people, I'm sure don't stop their babies from suckling on their mummas, just because they get grossed out at the thought... but would they let them nurse directly from a cow? Hell no. So why the squeamishness? I think it's a serious case of hypocrisy. But whatever. As it turns out, I'm not producing an excess any more anyway, seeing as 1.2.1's full nights sleeps were only on a couple of occasions, so I'll just keep it all for her.


I think she's on a major growth spurt, seeing as she's on a second mammoth nap of the day. She probably wants to make sure she's definitely over 14lbs by tomorrow, so the doc can give her the green light to start on the next phase of her precious wee life. God love her.


My Google search of the day - best first food for baby - lots of opinions there... this could take some time.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny thinking back in time to all the breastfeeding over the last 36 odd years (well...not me, obviously) just how little anything changes. There were no computers when Christopher was being guzzled, no iphone or pda or google or facepuke when you were causing inflammations and yet the question and the fears remain the same. Doubtless if we could find a Tardis, we'd find much the same in a caveman's cave. Except they did have iphones, it's been scientifically proved.Grpaxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you move to solid foods you'll have to keep us posted. I have seen this several places and wondered if it is worth the $ or if a food processor would do the same thing.

    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/beaba-babycook-baby-food-maker/?pkey=e|baby%2Bfood|15|best|0|1|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

    At any rate, I think it's lovely that you plan to make her food... at least you'll know what's in it and it will be natural and not full of preservatives.

    ReplyDelete